First Share Salad
- 1/2 head of fresh Lettuce
- 4 tbsp. chopped fresh French Tarragon
- 1 Leek
- 1 Jerusalem Artichoke
- 1 to 2 tbsp. red wine or champagne vinegar
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
Chop tarragon and lettuce and mix lightly in a salad bowl. Add peeled and thinly sliced jerusalem artichoke. Saute chopped leek in olive oil until just soft. Add vinegar to warm mixture and remove from heat. Let cool slightly and then pour over the top of the lettuce and tarragon mixture and toss lightly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Goat cheese, crumbled feta or shaved piave would all be nice over this. The sheep's milk lavender crottin that Lewis Waite Farm carries would also be really amazing on this salad.
Jerusalem Artichoke Casserole
- adapted from Stalking the Wild Asparagus - by Euell Gibbons
- 2 cups. jerusalem artichokes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- black pepper, chopped fresh herbs and salt.
Directions: Mix egg, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, herbs, salt and pepper and mashed jerusalem artichokes together and place in casserole dish. Cover with the rest of the bread crumbs mixed with the melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.